Christmas is just around the corner. And this year, unlike the past years, you may not have that much extra cash to splurge on Christmas gifts for family and friends. But that does not mean you should resort to the usual, cheap gift ideas, such one of those boxed gift sets in department stores.
Here are some cool Christmas gift ideas, as well as tips on how to get the best Christmas gifts for your family and friends without draining whatever is left of your Christmas budget for this year.
1. For your cool dad, uncle or older brother – basically, the men in your life. Most people normally complain that men are so hard to buy gifts for, because their preferences can be so mysterious. The trick to getting the best gift for the men in your life is knowing them well enough.
If you don’t have access to that knowledge, you can always ask your mom, or other family members who do. If they are tech-savvy (or trying hard to be), there are loads of products available online that are not too expensive. You can start with Bluetooth speakers or earphones for that wireless listening experience. Or you can bundle it with your concern for their health by giving them a fitness tracker like a Fitbit, or its cheaper alternative.
Find out what hobbies he likes and get him something that will help him enjoy these hobbies more. For example, if he loves biking, you can get him a biking jersey, or a bicycle repair kit, or a portable tire pump. If he enjoys a good massage, consider one of those handy wooden massagers that can be used for his aches and pains.
2. For your hard-working mom, aunt or your female friends. You’re surrounded by hard-working women – who you’d love to reward with major pampering or some quality “me” time. But can you give the gift of wellness without spending too much? You don’t need to get them a spa day certificate. You can create your own gift basket so they can have their spa day at home!
Fill up your basket with a gentle facial cleanser, a Korean face mask made of natural ingredients, and a facial toner. You can also choose some aromatherapy oils for her to enjoy.
If wellness isn’t her thing, how about beauty? Your kikay friend will truly enjoy the latest eyebrow pencil or the latest lip tint or the best matte lipstick you can find. You will never go wrong with makeup.
3. For your millennial brother or sister. Millennials can be quite a picky lot and very difficult to please. But the one thing that you can count on is their “fear of missing out” or FOMO. You can capitalize on this and watch out for the latest trends.
For example, if there is a new restaurant or cafe that offers a one-of-a-kind dining experience, bring them here. If there is a new attraction that you know will knock their socks off, get them tickets here. The key to pleasing millennials these days is to give them a user experience that they can boast to their friends about.
4. For the bookworms in your life. Reading is for everyone, no matter the age or social status. That is why giving books as gifts is still considered one of the best ways to show you really care. If you have a bookworm or two (or more) in your life, check out the latest lists of best books of 2018. Publications such as the Guardian and Esquire have their own compilations.
If new books are too steep for your budget, go to your trusty bargain bookstore. All you need is time to go through the stacks of books. It would also help to know what kind of book awards to note: Booker Prize, Pulitzer Prize, Nobel Prize, and for kid’s books – the Newbery Medal, the Caldecott Medal, the Coretta Scott King Book Awards and many more.
5. For nieces and nephews god-children. Chances are, the kids in your life may be too addicted to gadgets and screens. So, the best gift you can give them is a gift of experience. Try organizing an outing to a museum or a picnic, or get them classes in sports or arts and crafts. Check out the line-up of activities at Museo Pambata for kids.Science lovers will get a kick out of the Mind Museum where science “comes alive.” For out-of-town trips, try the Sandbox at Alviera for some outdoor fun and adventure. The kids, and their parents will surely love you for this.
So there you go—cool Christmas gift ideas for this year to celebrate this holiday of giving. In the end, however, all of these material things will not mean anything if you don’t spend time with family and friends. A simple Christmas dinner in your own Avida Land pad will surely make this Christmas a memorable one.